Re: How to make Emacs popular again.

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: How to make Emacs popular again.
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2020 21:26:33 +0300

On 26.09.2020 17:53, Ergus wrote:

BUT, on the other hand, it is true that Emacs makes some simple things
more complex/weird and keep them like that just because "it is the emacs
way" or "not to bother old users" or "we shouldn't do that just because
others do" or "our way is better just 90% more complex because it covers
this very weird and infrequent use case".

Very much yes.

It's very discouraging to see the constant push-back against even the small and reasonable changes.

It feels like everybody who is not content with Emacs remaining a fringe quirky editor simply has to leave (*), sooner or later. And thus the development team self-selects in favor of individuals who don't care much about the programs around Emacs (and being at least somewhat compatible with them in the UI), or general usability concerns.

(*) The core development, at least. Or they go and create their own sub-community (like "starter packs", or the lsp-mode project), contributing very little outside of it because of the much higher friction that entails.