Re: How to make Emacs popular again.

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: How to make Emacs popular again.
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2020 16:16:21 +0300

On 27.09.2020 05:41, Richard Stallman wrote:

   > It's very discouraging to see the constant push-back against even the
   > small and reasonable changes.

We do adopt some such changes.

If it's an actual change, and not just an addition, the amount of effort required to enact it is very often vastly disproportionate.

Arguing about people's general nature is useless.
You can't convince anyone about a general characeristic
and arguing trnds to offend.

I'm not talking about people's nature. This is feedback on the general process, which you can take under advisement, or not.

I've been here for a number of years, so I'm not just talking out of my posterior.

Please focus on a specific proposal you want to try to advance.
We can work on it until we reach a form that is ok to adopt.
That is how progress is made.

There has been a number of those in this year alone.

Here's a simple example:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2020-09/msg00842.html

BTW, my last personal email to you has seen no response. Were you too busy, or is there some delivery problem, maybe?