Re: non-gnu elpa issue tracking

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: non-gnu elpa issue tracking
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2020 01:04:18 -0500

  > > My opinion is that non-GNU ELPA and GNU ELPA both should never point
  > > to any website that has any proprietary Javascript or promotes
  > > proprietary software, specifically hyperlinks to Github better be
  > > removed completely.

That is more strict than our actual criteria for references to
other material.  Please see the GNU Coding Standards, node References.

We can refer people to GitHub for the purposes of doing things which
GitHub lets you do without your running nonfree software (including JS
code).

Please do not simplify this rule, because simplifying it leads to
something either too strict or too lax.  Too lax means we encourage
people to give up their freedom.  Too strict means we ask users to
make annoying gratuitous sacrifices.

  > Without backlinks to the original repositories, how will people know where
  > to report bugs with packages installed from non-GNU ELPA?

We should always tell users a way to report bugs in the package _provided_
users can do it without running nonfree software (including JS).

If there is no way to do that, we probably should not include the
package in NonGNU ELPA, and talk with the package developers about
providing a way to report bugs in their package from the Free World.

Does GitHub let users report bugs in a package without running nonfree
software (including JS code)?

--
Dr Richard Stallman