Re: non-gnu elpa issue tracking

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: non-gnu elpa issue tracking
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 00:34:01 -0500

  > As far as I remember from a previous discussion, it is possible to use
  > github with javascript disabled, but creating an account requires
  > running non-free javascript for the captcha. And it is not possible to
  > open or comment on issues without an account.

Assuming someone who knows for certain confirms that information, I
have to conclude that reporting bugs via GitHub comments is not an
ethical way to accept bug reports.  We cannot direct users to report
bugs in the package that way.  We should edit the README file to
remove that.

But there are other kinds of arrangements we can ask to make with the
package developers, such as

* The developers check bug-gnu-emacs for reports about their package.

* Establish an email address which will forward to them,
and give that as the way to report bugs in that package.

* A volunteer relayer who already has a GitHib account checks
bug-gnu-emacs for reports about that package, and enters them in
GitHib as comments.  The developers will have to reach the OP by email
-- the relayer would not want to keep relaying every conversation
for its whole length.

If the developers propose something else, and it meets the moral
requirements and isn't too much work, and we can do it, we should be
flexible.  I expect most packages won't get a bug report every month.

--
Dr Richard Stallman