Re: non-gnu elpa issue tracking

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: non-gnu elpa issue tracking
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 19:32:54 -0500

> and that list contains the following -
>
> (("ace-window" :external "https://github.com/abo-abo/ace-window";)
[...]
>  ("ztree" :external "https://github.com/fourier/ztree";)
[...]
> I don't have an issue with this, but it does seem inconsistent to argue
> github does not comply with FSF philosophy and guidelines while at the same
> time using it to maintain code which the FSF holds the copyright for and to
> have references to github as the homepage for the package.

Correction: the above URLs are reference to the Git repository, not to
the homepage.  I know Github conflates the two, but the above URLs are
not advertised to the end user.

The URL we advertise as "the homepage" on elpa.gnu.org are taken from
the "URL:" pseudo header in the package's main file (i.e. `<pkg>.el`).
For most (all?) packages hosted on Github, that URL is the same as the
one found in `externals-list` of course but I think the distinction is
important (e.g. we could refrain from including the reference to the
"homepage" on github while keeping the Git reference).

        Stefan