Re: non-gnu elpa issue tracking

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: non-gnu elpa issue tracking
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 11:54:41 +1100

On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 at 11:33, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> and that list contains the following -
>
> (("ace-window" :external "https://github.com/abo-abo/ace-window")
[...]
>  ("ztree" :external "https://github.com/fourier/ztree")
[...]
> I don't have an issue with this, but it does seem inconsistent to argue
> github does not comply with FSF philosophy and guidelines while at the same
> time using it to maintain code which the FSF holds the copyright for and to
> have references to github as the homepage for the package.

Correction: the above URLs are reference to the Git repository, not to
the homepage.  I know Github conflates the two, but the above URLs are
not advertised to the end user.

The URL we advertise as "the homepage" on elpa.gnu.org are taken from
the "URL:" pseudo header in the package's main file (i.e. `<pkg>.el`).
For most (all?) packages hosted on Github, that URL is the same as the
one found in `externals-list` of course but I think the distinction is
important (e.g. we could refrain from including the reference to the
"homepage" on github while keeping the Git reference).

I'm not sure I get the subtle difference you seem to be referring to. From my simple end user perspective, I find a package in the list of packages by running M-x list-packages , for example, I have the following in the current list -

 ack                1.10          available  gnu        interface to ack-like tools

When I move to that line and hit enter, the following window pops up, providing details about this package

Package ack is available.

     Author: Leo Liu <sdl.web@gmail.com>

This tells me the homepage for this package is on github.com. The repository hosting this package is GNU ELPA, which tells me it is code that is copyright to the FSF. To my uneducated view, this leads me to the assumption that the FSF uses github.com, despite their position regarding ethical software and ethical hosting.

--
regards,

Tim

--