Re: non-gnu elpa issue tracking

From: Boruch Baum
Subject: Re: non-gnu elpa issue tracking
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 14:10:55 -0500

On 2020-12-14 20:38, Jean Louis wrote:
> For sign up on Github users need to run proprietary Javascript. On the
> sign up page there are few Javascript scripts proprietary and few are
> free software. Maybe we could ask Github to liberate the remaining
> proprietary Javascript:

1) How can JS ever be considered 'free' (and benign) when it's pushed to
   the client browser at run-time from an external server? Until it's
   received (at page load time), no user can possibly know what its
   contents truly are.

   1.1) Even if a user had something like a set of HOSTS file entries
        redirecting the HTTP requests for JS to a local repository, the
        local JS repository would need to be kept up-to-date, BUT ...

   1.2) Once a local repository exists, the JS being pushed no longer
        needs to be 'free' because it won't be used anyway; All that's
        required is API compatibility.

2) For me (IFF: I were to adopt your position re: github) your solution
   sounds insufficient, because it wouldn't impose upon github a legal
   commitment not to inject proprietary JS in the future.

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0