Re: decision on moving core packages to ELPA; also move to obsolete?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: decision on moving core packages to ELPA; also move to obsolete?
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 22:55:21 +0200

On 15.12.2020 22:11, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

So please describe how you envision the process of building a release
tarball under this assumption.  E.g., how do I know which version of
package A I want to bundle is stable enough to go to a bugfix elease
of Emacs?

I'd expect it to work the same as for Org, MH-E, Gnus, you name it.

What do you mean by "the same as"?  Currently, it is not our decision
which Org/MH-E/etc. version will be in what Emacs branch.  The
respective developers make that decision and simply push the version
they decided into our repository.

Once we separate the repositories, the decision will have to be made
by whoever prepares the tarball, and I don't see how he or she could
be equipped to make that decision, nor how the packages are organized
for this modus operandi.

Forgive me if that has already been suggested, but how about either:

- When making an Emacs X.YZ release, we require that every "external" package has a tag emacs-xyz in its repository, and we pull in and package that version.

- In the very same file in Emacs' tree that the repositories with external packages will be listed, we also list the corresponding revisions that will go into the upcoming release.

The latter is essentially the "git modules" model, which we can also use. One advantage it has is that the package author forgotten to push a tag for some Emacs release, we're still covered.