Re: decision on moving core packages to ELPA; also move to obsolete?

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: decision on moving core packages to ELPA; also move to obsolete?
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 12:30:17 -0500

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> I still don't see what's the problem.
>
> With current Emacs, users can upgrade/downgrade their version of Org,
> python.el (etc...) via `list-packages`.  Clearly the same would apply to
> bundled ELPA packages.

Here's one problem: https://debbugs.gnu.org/44830

PS dealing with the merge conflicts between Org-in-emacs-27 and
Org-in-master prompts me to say yet again that keeping a big codebase in
two repositories is a PITA. So from that perspective a solution for
elpa-packages-distributed-with-emacs-releases would be most welcome.