Re: decision on moving core packages to ELPA; also move to obsolete?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: decision on moving core packages to ELPA; also move to obsolete?
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 18:57:19 +0200

> Cc: stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Daniele Nicolodi <daniele@grinta.net>
> Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 10:32:46 +0100
>
> > AFAIR, the main difficulty that remains to be resolved is how to allow
> > users to update a bundled package from ELPA.
>
> Do you mean this in a technical way or in an user experience way?

Is there a difference?

> Org is distributed as part of Emacs but it is routinely also
> installed and updated from ELPA and AFAIK it does not implement any
> special trick to make this work smotly.

The idea is that users should be able to install, upgrade, and
downgrade such packages exactly like they do with unbundled ones.
One can always install in another location that shadows the default
one, and even overwrite the files distributed with the tarball, but
that is hardly something we want to tell users as the method of using
ELPA packages.