Re: decision on moving core packages to ELPA; also move to obsolete?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: decision on moving core packages to ELPA; also move to obsolete?
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 18:40:49 -0500

> I think having it in lisp/obsolete would be a good compromise, until
> we figure out how to bundle ELPA packages with a release tarball.

For the record, we know how to do that.
There was a working patch for that some years back and I can't see why
they wouldn't work any more.

IOW the difficulty is not a question of implementing it but of deciding
of the resulting tradeoffs (mostly around whether or not building from
emacs.git should fetch the extra bundled GNU ELPA packages and if so
when and how).

        Stefan