decision on moving core packages to ELPA; also move to obsolete?

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: decision on moving core packages to ELPA; also move to obsolete?
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 11:59:34 -0800

I'd like to close https://debbugs.gnu.org/39553 .

One way to resolve it is to restore the old emacs core ada-mode, but in
lisp/obsolete, and with comments indicatiung that it is unmaintained and
superceded by the ELPA package.

Another way to resolve it is to accept the status quo.

Another way is to include ada-mode in the distribution tarball, but I
believe the infrastructure for that is not yet implemented. In
addition, since ELPA ada-mode requires Ada code compilation, it is not a
direct replacement for the elisp-only old core ada-mode.

This would establish a precedent/policy for other packages that move to
ELPA but prefer not to keep a copy in core.

Personally, I prefer the status quo, but I'm ok with putting the old
code in lisp/obsolete.

Eli, Lars; I'd like an official ruling on this.

--
-- Stephe