Re: bug#30854: 27.0.50; Speeding up package.el startup

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: bug#30854: 27.0.50; Speeding up package.el startup
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 11:37:29 -0500

> But byte compilation of that file gives boost in itself;

[ BTW, I just pushed to `master` a patch that byte-compiles the
  quickstart file.  ]

> just not as much as I got when I disabled package-quickstart.

I'm surprised there's much difference: you mentioned
`package-initialize` but nowadays `package-initialize` is not called in
a normal Emacs startup: `package-activate-all` is used instead.
And `package-activate-all` reduces to loading the quickstart file if
that file exists.

Any chance you could try and dig deeper to try and find more precisely
the origin of the performance difference you see?

        Stefan