Re: bug#30854: 27.0.50; Speeding up package.el startup

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: bug#30854: 27.0.50; Speeding up package.el startup
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2020 12:59:04 -0500

> Unfortunately I got less time then I thought I would have today.

There's no hurry.

> early-init.el
> (setq package-quickstart t)

You don't need it there: `package-activate-all` will use a quickstart
file if found, regardless of the value of `package-quickstart`.
IOW the value of `package-quickstart` onlt matters to decide whether we
*generate* the quickstart file.

> init.el
> (package-activate-all)

This should not be needed (and can be harmful) since
`package-activate-all` should have been run by Emacs between
`early-init.el` and `init.el`

> package-quickstart.el is byte- compiled

Good.

> startup time ~0.28 to ~0.30

OK.

> Quick start disabled:
>
> early-init.el:
>
> (setq package-quickstart nil
>       package-quickstart nil
>       package-enable-at-startup nil
>       package--init-file-ensured t)
[...]
> What I see is that startup time is consistently somewhat faster with
> "disabled" quickstart.  I am getting ~0.24 with my version; and ~0.28
> with "original" quickstart.

Maybe the difference is just due to loading `package`?
IOW, what happens if you add (require 'package) to your "Quick start
disabled" version?  Does the startup time go back up to ~0.28?

        Stefan