Re: bug#30854: 27.0.50; Speeding up package.el startup

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: bug#30854: 27.0.50; Speeding up package.el startup
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2020 15:56:46 -0500

>> Maybe the difference is just due to loading `package`?
>> IOW, what happens if you add (require 'package) to your "Quick start
>> disabled" version?  Does the startup time go back up to ~0.28?
> Why not just preload package.el?

First, I'd like to understand if that's indeed the source of the
timing difference.

But yes, I think it would make a lot of sense to split package.el into the part
that manages installation/updates/... and the part that just activates
the packages installed and to preload the second part.
Also exposing the API of that second part might encourage other package
managers to make use of it.

        Stefan