Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 13:22:15 +0100

That was a criticism on using weighting to account for missing data.  Weighting
is
customarily used to reduce noise levels or as a sparsity constraint.  One
possibility
would be a live survey (on the emacs website, a mailing list, ...).  Apologies
if
the comment was too harsh.  The basic criticism has been that it favoured
experienced
users.  Another way is to have multiple surveys based on emacs use experience,
and then
normalise the results between the different experience levels.  In that way
things
won't get skewed.

I would think that if there are competing views, we must not favour one or the
other,
but consider them equally valid.  It would then be simply a question of
priority or
perhaps measured on difficulty.  There is use for toolbars and should not be
discounted.
Another way is to isolate functionality so those who want to use then can
install a package.

Ultimately, it is for the maintainers and contributors to decide.  There are
many books on
statistical inference.   A popular technique is to divide the data into groups
followed by
a data representation strategy based on the most significant clusters.  One can
also study
correlations between groups as being statistically significant.