Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 10:04:53 +0300

* Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> [2020-12-21 09:57]:
> > Sent: Monday, December 21, 2020 at 11:17 AM
> > From: "Richard Stallman" <rms@gnu.org>
> > To: "Christopher Dimech" <dimech@gmx.com>
> > Cc: abrochard@gmx.com, bugs@gnu.support, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> > Subject: Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
> >
> > [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
> > [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
> > [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]
> >
> >   > I wonder whether the survey stems from lack of vision of emacs
> >   > admin and developers.  For instance, Gcc has a Development Plan.
> >   > Suggestions for changes to the plan are discussed on the Gcc
> >   > mailing list and can be approved or rejected by the Gcc Steering
> >   > Committee. How about Emacs?
> >
> > GCC has many developers who are paid by various companies.
> > That makes it easier to make plans and actually carry them out.
> >
> > The Emacs contributors are all volunteers, so we can't tell anyone
> > what to do.  We can only exhort and apply naked emotional pressure,
> > which works only sometimes.
>
> Perhaps not in all details, but at some level it would benefit to
> consider an actual plan.  Else things move on quite haphazardly.
> For instance, certain changes are better done in a sequence.
> And if you are tackling a problem, you can consider tackling
> a related one.

There are many volunteer organizations where people make a plan of
action. Volunteer or not, it is not related to planning. Especially if
one wish to spare the time for developers it is better to have a
development plan.

It could be a simple list of most important issues to be handled for
Emacs.

When such list is published maybe more contributors could be drawn to
it.

And I see no reason why FSF donations could not be used to improve
developer's life.

Jean