Re: Emacs as a word processor (ways to convert Word/RTF proprietary file

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Emacs as a word processor (ways to convert Word/RTF proprietary files)
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 14:23:50 +0100

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> * Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2020-12-25 11:15]:
>> > Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 10:14:40 +0300
>> > From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
>> >
>> > - there are Word importing capabilities by using other available free
>> >   software. Emacs could advise users to install some external software
>> >   to convert from Word.
>
>> I think you underestimate the amount of pressure applied on any
>> J.R. Hacker having a daytime job to use MS Office.  You cannot be a
>> useful and appreciated part of an organization without having to use
>> those tools, because all the correspondence and all the
>> documentation is based on that.  And there's no real Free Software
>> alternative, certainly not based on Emacs.
>
> Since 21 years I use free software. Before that I used proprietary
> Windows and various programs. Already back then I have found all the
> free software to replace anything that I otherwise used on Windows. I
> remember using LyX and writing books and HTML pages with it. That is
> why I cannot share that opinion. I did find what I needed many years
> ago, individually, so other users can also find it.
You know what every person need in every business, and how they use
their computer, and all use cases, businesses etc?

Since you enjoy eating bread and water every day, so should every other
person be happy by living just on bread and water?

>                 I did find what I needed many years
> ago, individually, so other users can also find it.

Because all other human beings have same needs as you? :-)