Re: Emacs as a word processor (ways to convert Word/RTF proprietary file

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Emacs as a word processor (ways to convert Word/RTF proprietary files)
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 15:19:50 +0300

* Tomas Hlavaty <tom@logand.com> [2020-12-26 14:53]:
> On Sat 26 Dec 2020 at 18:03, Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Google Docs is also bad -- because you have to run nonfree software
> >> to talk to it, and you have to identify yourself and sign an unjust
> >> contract to be allowed to use it.
> >
> > Of course you have to identify yourself. It’s a natural consequence of
> > collaboration, because:
> >
> > * You want to let a small set of your coworkers to be able to see the
> > document and comment on it.
> > * You want an even smaller subset of those to be able to edit it.
> > * You want to know who made which comment or edit.
>
> None of those points cause having to identify myself to an overseas
> entity.

I agree on that.

We have in Emacs various free software collaborative editing solutions
included latest crdt.el: https://code.librehq.com/qhong/crdt.el.git

There is also etherpad: https://etherpad.org/ for online
collaboration.

In general, supporting collaboration with non-free software based
solutions should always come after we have the free software solution
in the first place.