Re: Confused by y-or-n-p

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Confused by y-or-n-p
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 00:26:00 -0500

  > The same way we could add a function with old implementation of 'y-or-n-p',
  > and depending on an option use either of them.  So two new options are
  > needed: to select an implementation of y-or-n-p and

That is the right approach, but there are other places where Emacs asks
for a one-character answer and I'd like them to go back to the old
behavior also.

Perhaps you need to do this at the level of read-char-choice.

                                                        and also an option
  > to choose either to use yes-or-no-p or y-or-n-p with shorter answers.

If someone wants that option I see no harm in providing it.
Did anyone actually ask for it, or was it proposed simply in the
search for more alternative behaviors?

  > Or maybe just one variable with three choices: long answers with
yes-or-no-p,
  > short answers with read-key, short answers with the minibuffer.

Ok, provided it is for all the one-character answers, not solely for
y-or-n-p.

--
Dr Richard Stallman