Re: Confused by y-or-n-p

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Confused by y-or-n-p
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2020 18:16:36 +0100

> This is exactly what we recently did for the function 'read-char-choice'.
> Instead of changing its long-standing implementation that uses 'read-key',
> we left it unchanged, and only changed its caller to rely on a different
> function that uses the minibuffer to read a character.

Do you mean 'dired-query' and 'zap-up-to-char'?

> The same way we could add a function with old implementation of 'y-or-n-p',
> and depending on an option use either of them.  So two new options are
> needed: to select an implementation of y-or-n-p and and also an option
> to choose either to use yes-or-no-p or y-or-n-p with shorter answers.

This would be OK I think.  With the "use the old implementation" option
going to Emacs 27.2 and the use 'y-or-n-p' instead of 'yes-or-no-p' to
master.

> Or maybe just one variable with three choices: long answers with yes-or-no-p,
> short answers with read-key, short answers with the minibuffer.

This would probably bother both conservative and more adventurous users
with something they'd never want.

martin