Re: project-find-file: switch to include non-tracked files

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: project-find-file: switch to include non-tracked files
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 22:28:15 +0300

On 04.10.2021 17:06, Stefan Kangas wrote:
Manuel Uberti <manuel.uberti@inventati.org> writes:

At the top of project.el I see this:

;; * Reliably cache the list of files in the project, probably using
;;   filenotify.el (if supported) to invalidate.  And avoiding caching
;;   if it's not available (manual cache invalidation is not nice).

So maybe going for manual cache invalidation is not the best approach?

Right, they probably had their reasons for doing that - perhaps it was
just easier - but it sounds like something that we would want to
avoid.

Yes, early on I have put it as one of the goals -- to avoid manual cache invalidation by the user; that's just not nice. And the user might forget to do it, or even not know about this duty (most other editors do not require manual cache management like that).

'C-u' seems fine. Now let's decide what kind of behavior we actually want from it.