Re: master 859190f 2/3: Convert some keymaps to defvar-keymap

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: master 859190f 2/3: Convert some keymaps to defvar-keymap
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 15:32:45 +0000

We don't want our basic building blocks to be DWIM-ey, but instead have well-documented, reliable interfaces, and certainly not change those interfaces in subtle ways. So changing `define-key' in this way is a no go.

I agree with Lars here.

I really don't see how this could break anything, but okay.

But how about a new function (e.g. named 'bind-key') that defaults to kbd-syntax? Then we could encourage its use in new code and init files.

Yes. But then you'd need another set of new functions, "bind-key-after", "global-bind-key", "local-bind-key", "global-unbind-key", "local-unbind-key". And another one for "lookup-key", too. A rather confusing situation, IMO.