Re: Elisp LSP Server

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Elisp LSP Server
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 14:52:28 +0800

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> The use for an elisp language server for non-Emacs editors seems like a
> very very small use case to me. Even the proposed use case of being able
> to edit a broken init.el file with a different editor seems unlikely. In
> fact, I doubt very much elisp is of any interest to anyone who isn't an
> Emacs user and emacs -Q is probably still more convenient than using a
> completely different editor to edit your init.el file.

Very very small, apart from the use-case the OP mentioned: to benefit
users of GitHub, which will drive users to GitHub and make them use VS
Code.

> At any rate, I only entered this thread to address the misinformation
> about LSP being evil and encouraging the use of non-free software. LSP
> is simply a protocol - how it is implemented and how it is used is down
> to developers and users - arguing that providing an LSP server would
> encourage the use of non-free software is extremely unlikely. Elisp is
> of no interest to non-Emacs users and while it might seem that elisp is
> the greatest language ever to those who have drunk the Emacs kool-aid,
> to those outside Emacs, it is just some esoteric editor configuration
> language of little interest.

I didn't suggest that LSP is evil, but providing an LSP server for Emacs
Lisp is; it is likely to make life lucrative for the significant portion
of Emacs users who develop their configurations with GitHub, which will
in turn lead to more and more Emacs users using GitHub.

Which is precisely because there is no use for such a language server
anywhere else.