Re: Elisp LSP Server

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Elisp LSP Server
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 11:32:58 +1100

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > Ok. I'm sorry I'm not following every message in this thread, but does
> this
>   > means that the Elisp LSP server is not wanted after all?
>
> Indeed, it does mean that.  An Emacs Lisp LSP server won't help us
> give Emacs whatever editing features for Emacs Lisp we want.  All it
> would help is adding those features to VScode.

this does of course totally ignore the very valid point made by Eli re:
off loading some processing to a separate process which could make Emacs
more responsive and to some extent, overcome the inherent limitations
imposed by a single threaded editor.

It also seems like premature fear optimisation - the use case for an
elisp LSP server for non-Emacs users is very small and the use case for
those who want that who also use VSCode is even smaller. I'm not even
convinced there is really a use case for editing elisp outside of Emacs
(even with VS Code). You would still need to run emacs in order to
execute/use the code. It could even be that having such a facility might
result in more people actually using Emacs once they realise the
potential of elisp and the power that gives an editor.

It makes no sense to discourage such a development over fears which are
based on such weak grounds.