Re: Elisp LSP Server

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Elisp LSP Server
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 09:20:07 +0100

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021, 18:34 Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> wrote:
On 13.10.2021 20:15, Joost Kremers wrote:
>> - No idea what language to use or how to implement the server. It has
>> been suggested elisp would be the obvious choice, but I don't see how
>> you can implement elisp outside Emacs without pretty much implementing
>> most of emacs.
> Why not just use Emacs? Run an Emacs daemon process (properly isolated, so it
> doesn't interfere with the user's Emacs process), feed it the Elisp code and
> have it return the analytics that LSP requires. That doesn't sound too difficult.

That seems like the only practical way to implement such a server, indeed.

Not only practical, but also the right one, IMHO

The use of jsonrpc.el, an existing Emacs library for JSONRPC communication, as well as parts of the Eglot LSP client (also slated to be in Emacs core) can more than likely help when doing this.

Even though Eglot is a LSP client, a very significant part of its code could be used in the server.

If there is serious interest in making a eglot-servel.el, I can arrange the split of eglot.el into eglot-common.el and eglot-client.el libraries.

João