Re: Moving kbd to subr.el

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Moving kbd to subr.el
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 15:53:23 +0200

> Removing or changing the current string-based syntax would be
> impossible, so a plan that starts with as a criterion is already dead.

Can't we impose pretty much any syntax we like in new forms, such as
'defvar-keymap' and 'kbd-valid-p'?

I'm looking at a fragment like this:

   "P"         #'cvs-status-prev
-  (kbd "M-n") #'cvs-status-next
-  (kbd "M-p") #'cvs-status-prev
+  ["M-n"]     #'cvs-status-next
+  ["M-p"]     #'cvs-status-prev
   "t"         #'cvs-status-cvstrees

And I feel like it would be nice if we could avoid putting these
strings in a vector.  Especially if we don't do it consistently.

At the same time, maybe I don't understand the overreaching plan.  Is
the idea to be able to replace any use of (kbd "M-x") with ["M-x"]
everywhere, including in 'define-key' et al?