Re: Moving kbd to subr.el

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Moving kbd to subr.el
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 16:03:09 +0000

Hence the "create a specific notation for them if removing them is not possible". E.g. use a "{string}" syntax in the (rare) cases where the current string-based syntax is necessary, and use the "string" syntax in all other cases.

If you have the liberty to change the string, then you can always (or close enough) use the kbd syntax.

The reason to preserve the old syntax is to support old code that nobody will/can update.

I understand this, although I'm not sure what "nobody can update" means. After all, changing a few characters here and there is not an infeasible task. It's also why I wasn't suggesting to deprecate them in a near future, but progressively. The warning in Emacs 29+N could even mention what the replacement string should be, something like: "Warning (define-key): "\C-ca" uses a deprecated syntax, it should be replaced by "C-c a"."