Re: NS port cleanups

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: NS port cleanups
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 21:22:37 +0100

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 05:40:29PM +0800, Po Lu wrote:
> > If you want to improve the GNUstep experience I think the best place
> > to start would be improving nsfont. I've tried, but frankly I don't
> > understand fonts and my motivation ran out pretty quickly, especially
> > since some of the GNUstep side is completely undocumented.
>
> I did a best effort job at cleaning up nsfont and getting it into a
> presentable state.  I've also implemented some changes to the NS port in
> general that implement some missing features (such as overhangs), and
> fix some issues preventing nsfont from behaving correctly (namely the
> horrid cursor drawing logic that I changed to behave closer to the
> X-Windows code), and some changes to the menu logic.

This looks really good on GNUstep! I am no longer faced with a wide
selection of random fonts when I open xdisp.c!

A few wee things:

Except for the first line the commit message should be made up of full
sentences with full stops at the end.

I feel it might be good to split this into two separate patches, one
with the GNUstep stuff and the other with the changes to cursor
drawing, but that's up to you.

The cursor mostly doesn't draw under macOS, and when it does draw the
glyph is its normal colour instead of the inverted colours I see on
GNUstep and GTK. I had a quick look and can't see anything obviously
causing this. If you have no ideas I'll investigate further.

You missed a comment in ns_draw_window_cursor that refers to drawing
the text on top of the cursor.

> There are still two problems with this code: the first being that if a
> glyph with a left overhang is preceeded by a glyph with both a left and
> a right overhang, the glyph with just the left overhang will be drawn
> twice.  I haven't been able to solve this problem, could someone please
> take a look?  Thanks.

I don't really understand this, but I'll have a look if I can.

> The second problem is that, on startup, the toolbar is too tall unless
> the frame is resized.  I can't profess to understand the toolbar code
> well enough to fix this problem.

This is not a new issue. I can't work out why it happens, but I think
it has to do with the frame resizing on startup.

--
Alan Third