Re: NS port cleanups

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: NS port cleanups
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 08:40:44 +0800

Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> writes:

> Except for the first line the commit message should be made up of full
> sentences with full stops at the end.

Thanks, fixed.

> I feel it might be good to split this into two separate patches, one
> with the GNUstep stuff and the other with the changes to cursor
> drawing, but that's up to you.

The changes to cursor drawing are prerequisite to nsfont actually
behaving as expected, so I'd say no to this.

But there are some changes to the menu and modifier key code, to make
them work under GNUstep, and it might be prudent to split those changes.

WDYT?

> The cursor mostly doesn't draw under macOS, and when it does draw the
> glyph is its normal colour instead of the inverted colours I see on
> GNUstep and GTK. I had a quick look and can't see anything obviously
> causing this. If you have no ideas I'll investigate further.

I added an attempt to fix this, but it's totally untested.

> You missed a comment in ns_draw_window_cursor that refers to drawing
> the text on top of the cursor.

Thanks for spotting this.

> I don't really understand this, but I'll have a look if I can.

Basically, find any italic variable pitch font, and in it type

  "ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY"

Then move the cursor over the "W" in "WARRANTY".  A will appear to be
overstriked.

Thanks.