Re: Elisp LSP Server

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Elisp LSP Server
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 10:36:16 -0400

  > You keep saying that we must avoid integrating Emacs with
  > proprietary software. In a general sense, I agree. But I'm not
  > sure I can completely agree with the reasons you're stating:
  > "Doing otherwise would encourage people to use non-free
  > software". There's also the other side of that coin: If Emacs
  > doesn't work well in some environments - users simply may stop
  > using Emacs.

We are failing to communicate because you are making the _popularity_
of Emacs the highest priority.  But that's not our goal.  I did not
write Emacs just to have a success.  There are more important things
at stake here.

The GNU Project has a goal that is more important than its own
success.  Its goal is to help eliminate injustice in computing.  Every
nonfree program does injustice to its users.  See fsf.org/tedx (14
minutes) for explanastion.

The reason we must not encourage people to use nonfree programs
is because we would be leading them into being vicims of injustice.
That would be culpable on our part.

We say, "Foo is a nonfree program so it does injustice to you if you use it."
If we also said, "If you're using Emacs, to solve this problem, use Foo,"
that would be a moral contradiction.  We must not present a nonfree program
as a solution, because it's the problem.

We can make Emacs function for people who use GitHub, but we must not
give GitHub privileges over the other forges that treat their users
ethically.