Re: Elisp LSP Server

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Elisp LSP Server
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 10:46:15 -0700

Ag Ibragimov <agzam.ibragimov@gmail.com> writes:

> I, for one, would love to see Emacs working nicely on everything - in
> every operating system, any browser, on a toaster, on embedded
> systems, on every earth-orbiting satellite, on my TV, on my watch, on
> my phone, in my car, everything. Excuse me, but I can't see how this
> would be "isn't progress for Emacs and very damaging to free software
> in general".

Emacs in general does accept patches porting it to new operating
systems, AFAICT even esoteric ones.  For example, we even have a port
for MS-DOS, if that happens to be your thing.

> Check out the phenomenal rise of VSCode. In only five years, they've
> succeeded in achieving more than twenty years of Emacs evolution. And
> honestly, VSCode's enormous pace of spreading is very alarming.

VSCode is less ambitious than Emacs, and is built on worse foundations.
That means that their development will inevitably hit a ceiling, whereas
ours won't.  We might develop slower than them for various reasons, but
check back in 40 more years, and then we'll see who's still around.

That said, I agree that Emacs has a lot of work to do if it wants to
stay relevant.  On this list, we are busy working on those things.
If you want to help, head over to the bug tracker and get cracking.
Or, you know, write an Emacs Lisp LSP server.  ;-)