Re: Elisp LSP Server

From: Daniel Martín
Subject: Re: Elisp LSP Server
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 16:19:17 +0200

Ag Ibragimov <agzam.ibragimov@gmail.com> writes:

> I think creating Elisp LSP server would provide consistency with all
> other languages already supported.

I agree that having a consistent interface for providing language
"intelligence" might be good (but note that the design of the LSP
interface has its own problems), but I think that the price we'd pay by
using an ELisp LSP server would be too much.  Why pay the price of
serializing from/to JSON, RPC, and having an inferior process running
all the time when the introspection capabilities of Emacs can provide
the same capabilities (with similar, if not the same, quality) but all
happening more efficiently in process?

> And as a side effect, that would also make it possible for better
> navigation and code introspection of Elisp outside of Emacs.

I think this is a good point, but I don't expect there is a lot of
people that work on ELisp without Emacs (even if we consider people that
use a web IDE that supports LSP).  Wouldn't we spend a lot of time
building something that almost no one would use?