Re: Elisp LSP Server

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Elisp LSP Server
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 16:57:11 -0400

  > > I think it is dangerous for Emacs to "integrate" with such proprietary
  > > software.  It would make people gravitate towards that software.

Po Lu is right.

  > That yes, but that is an inherent problem of LSP (e.g. see how VSCode
  > can automatically download and run a propitiatory LSP server like
  > Pylance), and not the "." command itself.

Can you please explain the problem that you're talking about?  If it
is true that LSP inherently tends to use nonfree LSP servers, then
using LSP is inherently a problem, and maybe we should not include
that feature in Emacs at all.

Or can we fix that problem?  Maybe loading nonfree servers is not
totally inherent -- maybe we can arrange to avoid it.

  > I think a better solution to Ag's problem is to make editing online
  > repositories easier, without to manually clone a directory every time.

Would you spell out in more detail what you're thinking of?  Perhaps this
would be a solution, but what is the solution, and what is the problem?