Re: Elisp LSP Server

From: Daniel Martín
Subject: Re: Elisp LSP Server
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 21:25:54 +0200

> Daniel Martín <mardani29@yahoo.es> writes:
>
>> Ag Ibragimov <agzam.ibragimov@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> And as a side effect, that would also make it possible for better
>>> navigation and code introspection of Elisp outside of Emacs.
>>
>> I think this is a good point, but I don't expect there is a lot of
>> people that work on ELisp without Emacs (even if we consider people that
>> use a web IDE that supports LSP).  Wouldn't we spend a lot of time
>> building something that almost no one would use?
>
> I agree, it seems like too much effort, if all you need is navigation
> and introspection. E.g. htmlfontify uses etags (but I guess that could
> be updated to use xref) to generate links for definitions.

I can also recommend a GNU project here: GNU Global
(https://www.gnu.org/software/global/).  GNU Global is free software
that can generate a code browsing website for a software project where
you can search for symbols, navigate to function definitions, etc.
Here's an example of how a website generated by GNU Global looks like:
https://www.tamacom.com/tour/kernel/linux/

GNU Global can integrate with multiple tagging backends.  One of them is
ctags/etags, which provides support for Emacs Lisp.