Re: ruby mode additional packages

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: ruby mode additional packages
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2022 15:33:12 +0000

Grant Shangreaux <grant@churls.world> writes:

> hello emacs-devel,
>
> i've recently been re-rolling a configuration using only ELPA and
> non-gnu ELPA package archives. i primarily work with ruby in my
> day-to-day work, and was a bit surprised that many of the packages i've
> grown accustomed to are not available, particularly inf-ruby.
>
> i understand that much of it comes from copyright assignment issues, but
> i was curious if there is any work to bring some of the ruby support
> packages into non-gnu ELPA? i am sort of the de-facto maintainer of the
> minitest-emacs package, though i did not write it. i would be
> interested in organizing what it takes to get it into non-gnu ELPA.

All that is needed is a link to the repository, then it can be added.
If you and all the contributors have signed the CA, then it could even
be added to GNU ELPA.

> in addition to that, i started trying to make my own inferior ruby based
> off of comint-mode, and while its very basic right now, it does
> work. would there be any desire to add a FSF assigned new version of
> inferior ruby to ELPA or Emacs proper? what considerations are required
> for something like that? i do not want to detract from the work people
> put into the existing inf-ruby. i also do not want to cause any issues
> with copyright or licensing, for example, using inf-ruby as a basis
> to write a new package.

ruby-mode is maintained by Dmitry Gutov, so I've CC'ed him.  If it is an
uncontroversial upgrade, I wouldn't expect any resistance, otherwise I
think it might be better to add it to GNU ELPA.