Re: ruby mode additional packages

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: ruby mode additional packages
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 04:18:00 +0300

On 08.07.2022 06:17, Grant Shangreaux wrote:

There's nothing barring inf-ruby from being featured in NonGNU
ELPA. Now that you have voiced the question, we can get it added.

oh great! i have simply taken for granted all these years that inf-ruby
was "part of Emacs", but only recently have i become aware of the
distinctions between the various package archives.

I've added it to NonGNU ELPA now. Successfully, I hope.

in addition to that, i started trying to make my own inferior ruby based
off of comint-mode, and while its very basic right now, it does
work. would there be any desire to add a FSF assigned new version of
inferior ruby to ELPA or Emacs proper?

I don't know, I feel like most of the stuff in inf-ruby is fairly
essential (if I do say so myself, having written or re-written a
significant part of it).

i'm certain it is :) i've perused the package and i definitely had not
considered support for multiple implementations across many versions of
Ruby, IRB, Pry etc. i realized the issue i'd been having recently was
actually an IRB problem and i could not blindly rely on --inf-ruby-mode
as a flag.

Yeah. I don't think the --inf-ruby-mode flag has worked well enough for a while.

yeah this is interesting to think about. i've been attempting to
approach Emacs again as a beginner, and since myself and my colleagues
primarily work with Ruby, that has been one of my focuses when working
on a configuration. to simplify things, i wanted to rely on what a new
user would get "out of the box" with Emacs 28. having ruby-mode baked in
felt like a Good Thing. needing a package just to get basic language
support would feel bad, especially when Ruby and Emacs have such a
history together. i think i was a bit surprised that inf-ruby was not
included, since it feels like a natural extension of ruby-mode

but you're absolutely right, getting inf-ruby in NonGNU ELPA /would/
solve 99% of everyone's needs (including mine :) ).

Cool. To be sure, help improving inf-ruby is always welcome. Especially from someone who has already tinkered with Comint and IRB.

There are certainly bugs lurking there that could use rooting out.

i do have my FSF paperwork in order, and i'd love to contribute what i
can. since i'm in ruby land most often i thought i would ask here to see
where the effort would best be placed. thank you!

I personally think the effort is best placed improving the existing
packages.

Not to discourage you from writing ones from scratch, though. That can
be fun and useful too.

i agree. while i was having some fun digging into comint-mode and IRB,
there is a lot of effort in inf-ruby i would rather continue
supporting. i do have a romantic notion about getting it into ELPA and
Emacs proper, but your point about people asking for a package version
of ruby-mode feels more practical. bringing inf-ruby to NonGNU ELPA
feels like the right step, and if there is desire to get it assigned to
the FSF someday and into ELPA, i'd be happy to help.

It doesn't have to be either/or.

My preference would be to focus on improving the existing functionality, but if you like to continue the rewrite, it's a solid direction, too.