Re: ruby mode additional packages

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: ruby mode additional packages
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 04:10:43 +0300

Hi!

On 07.07.2022 16:50, Grant Shangreaux wrote:
i've recently been re-rolling a configuration using only ELPA and
non-gnu ELPA package archives. i primarily work with ruby in my
day-to-day work, and was a bit surprised that many of the packages i've
grown accustomed to are not available, particularly inf-ruby.

i understand that much of it comes from copyright assignment issues, but
i was curious if there is any work to bring some of the ruby support
packages into non-gnu ELPA? i am sort of the de-facto maintainer of the
minitest-emacs package, though i did not write it. i would be
interested in organizing what it takes to get it into non-gnu ELPA.

There's nothing barring inf-ruby from being featured in NonGNU ELPA. Now that you have voiced the question, we can get it added.

in addition to that, i started trying to make my own inferior ruby based
off of comint-mode, and while its very basic right now, it does
work. would there be any desire to add a FSF assigned new version of
inferior ruby to ELPA or Emacs proper? what considerations are required
for something like that? i do not want to detract from the work people
put into the existing inf-ruby. i also do not want to cause any issues
with copyright or licensing, for example, using inf-ruby as a basis
to write a new package.

I don't know, I feel like most of the stuff in inf-ruby is fairly essential (if I do say so myself, having written or re-written a significant part of it).

If you want to reimplement the parts written by people without copyright assignment, be my guest, I guess. Maybe to get it in ELPA, or maybe into Emacs proper.

But according to my observations, people have asked for the reverse: to have the latest version of ruby-mode in some ELPA archive, to be able to use it from any Emacs release.

So from where I'm sitting, having inf-ruby in NonGNU ELPA would solve 99% of everyone's needs.

i do have my FSF paperwork in order, and i'd love to contribute what i
can. since i'm in ruby land most often i thought i would ask here to see
where the effort would best be placed. thank you!

I personally think the effort is best placed improving the existing packages.

Not to discourage you from writing ones from scratch, though. That can be fun and useful too.