Re: disable automatic native-compilation?

From: Lynn Winebarger
Subject: Re: disable automatic native-compilation?
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 11:10:27 -0400

On Sat, Jul 9, 2022 at 1:26 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > From: Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org>
> > Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2022 09:49:59 -0700
> >
> > I've just started using Emacs 28. I'm trying run the ada-mode test
> > suite, which lauches a new Emacs instance for each test.
> >
> > Now that instance also starts a native-compile process, which slows
> > things down (a lot), and does not terminate cleanly when the Emacs
> > instance does at the end of the test.
>
> How does it not "terminate cleanly"? what uncleanliness is left?
> Please do tell the details.
>
> > I'm on Windows, so this pops up a dialog that I have to acknowledge
> > eventually.
>
> What dialog did pop up that you needed to acknowledge? what did it
> say?

If Stephen's building native compilation under cygwin, perhaps he's
referring to an error message about not being able to load the ELN
file, either in the form of a "fork" failure, or an explicit complaint
about the dll base address conflicting with another dll that's already
been loaded.  For a 64-bit build, a restart of emacs seems to be
enough to cure the issue, although I have also had issues that didn't
seem to be resolved without doing a "rebase all".
I don't know if this behavior is considered a bug (in either libgccjit
or emacs) or just a basic limitation of using the cygwin platform.
It is definitely an annoyance when either installing packages or when
one of the package's features/modules is autoloaded the first time.

Lynn