Re: disable automatic native-compilation?

From: Ken Brown
Subject: Re: disable automatic native-compilation?
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 21:52:58 -0400

On 7/10/2022 5:54 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
On 7/10/2022 2:32 PM, Lynn Winebarger wrote:
I see a discussion under bug #50666 -
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=50666 [ note - only
found by google site search on lists.gnu.org for "Ken Brown" "cygwin"
"native", the bug did not show up when I used debbugs's search for
bugs for package "emacs" with "cygwin" in the subject ].
It seems to have focused on the 32-bit architecture, but I only use
64-bit targets.

Native compilation is unusable on 32-bit Cygwin, and this is reflected in the configure script.  (See the --with-cygwin32-native-compilation configure option.)

In the 64-bit case, Achim Gratz's autorebase postinstall script takes care of rebasing the .eln files on a regular basis, provided the user has set things up appropriately.  Instructions can be found in the announcement at

   https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-announce/2022-April/010529.html

In the 3 months since I sent that announcement, I have not heard from a single Cygwin user about rebase issues.  This might simply mean that very few users have tried the native compilation release.

I myself use that release daily, and I can only recall one instance in which I saw a fork failure and had to exit emacs and rebase.

In summary, I would say that native compilation is usable with very occasional minor annoyances on 64-bit Cygwin.  But I doubt if I will ever make it the default Cygwin build, simply because I don't want to be inundated with emails from people who haven't read the release announcement.

Lynn,

Rereading your earlier message about problems during package installation, I see I didn't really respond to that. But it has nothing to do with the present bug, so please make a fresh bug report and give full details. And please follow the instructions in the announcement I cited. If you're working in your own build of Cygwin emacs that you haven't installed, you might also have to add its native-lisp directory to

  /var/lib/rebase/userpath.d/<username>

Ken