Re: disable automatic native-compilation?

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: disable automatic native-compilation?
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 12:54:07 +0000

Tor Kringeland <tor.kringeland@ntnu.no> writes:

> Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org> writes:
>
>> - There should be a simple way to completely disable native compilation;
>> Emacs should never do anything that I can't control. If setting
>> native-comp-deferred-compilation nil is the right way to do this, it
>> should be documented in the native compilation section of the elisp
>> manual.
>
> Doesn't setting
>
>   (setq native-comp-speed -1)
>
> disable native compilation?

Not "completely".  `native-comp-speed' works at function per function
level.  A function copiled with native-comp-speed -1 will still be
enclosed in the produced .eln file but in bytecode form.  Indeed setting
it globally will have as result the production of the same .eln files
but those will include the bytecode definition of the compiled
functions.

BR

  Andrea