Re: master 616da8fa8e: Merge branch 'feature/fix-the-long-lines-display-

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: master 616da8fa8e: Merge branch 'feature/fix-the-long-lines-display-bug'
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 13:36:34 +0000

One of the design principles of that feature is that it should be as transparent as possible, and it is. The point of adding a variable to control the feature was to avoid introducing an arbitrary constant at the C level, and also to allow users who really enjoy slowdowns to turn these optimizations off

Then why is it a number and not a boolean? A number that I don't know how to change is as good as a constant.

You don't have to change it.

Vertical-motion is not slow anymore.

Could you please show a file where I can appreciate a noticable speed-up in vertical-motion?

Are you kidding?  Try, for example:

https://github.com/Wilfred/ReVo-utilities/blob/a4bdc40dd2656c496defc461fc19c403c8306d9f/revo-export/dictionary.json?raw=true

No type M-> C-p. Before the merge this takes about 50 seconds (about 20 seconds for M-> and 30 seconds for C-p). Now it is instantaneous. And that's only a moderately large file (20 MB). Try the same with a 1 GB file, and M-> will never end.

Meanwhile, could you please fix the build breakage introduced by a29a3ad55d?