Re: byte-opt.el vs declare

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: byte-opt.el vs declare
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 10:31:19 +0200

26 juli 2022 kl. 21.57 skrev Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org>:

> I thought that byte-opt was intended to set `pure'. `side-effect-free'
> &c properties for functions that are defined in C and functions defined
> in Lisp should get these from `declare'.

Not official by any means, but I'd suggest `declare` be used for new Lisp
functions and set the properties for C functions in byte-opt for now.

There is a considerable legacy, mind, and it's probably not worth changing all
of it right away. If there turns out to be a more substantial benefit from
doing so then someone working on the byte-compiler will deal with it.