Re: master d7e848ccda 2/3: Use icons in outline

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master d7e848ccda 2/3: Use icons in outline
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 10:22:57 +0300

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org,  larsi@gnus.org
> Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 14:47:10 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Isn't that a bug?  I'd expect the entire string of asterisks to be
> > replaced by the icon.
>
> In that case the depth of the heading isn't visible, so using an icon
> there loses information.

That depends on how the icon is displayed, doesn't it?

Btw, why don't we support6 the "standard" way of displaying multilevel
itemized lists: with '+' and '-' icons and suitable indentation?

> And IMNSHO there is no point in using icons instead of asterisks

I disagree, FWIW.  You are, in effect, saying that the entire feature
should be deleted from Emacs, and that is definitely not so.