Re: Storing sensitive data indefinitely in variables or buffers: Whether

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Storing sensitive data indefinitely in variables or buffers: Whether and how to fix?
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2023 06:34:51 +0000

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

> I'm already wrangling with Org caching (for now, my sweet spot
> seems to be directing it to a non-existing directory and ignoring
> the complaints: paradoxically, Emacs is snappier then).

You will hit an error, sooner or later. We are going to use cache in more
scenarios.

If your Emacs is snappier without cache, you likely experience slowdowns
on long sessions. If so, it is another problem you are just postponing.

> I'd hate to end up with a setup like the monster browsers have
> these days: an obscure set of sqlite databases you need a huge
> amount of dedication to extract some slivers of information from.

I am sure we will not.

For multi-session, it is up to you whether to store information in
SQLite database or in plain text files. The default for
`multisession-storage' is 'files. I doubt that we are going to change
this default in the nearest dozen of years (It is Emacs after all :])

For org-persist, it is designed to store disposable information that can
be re-generated any time. Even then, org-persist tries to keep the
index.eln human-readable.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,