Re: Storing sensitive data indefinitely in variables or buffers: Whether

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Storing sensitive data indefinitely in variables or buffers: Whether and how to fix?
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2023 06:48:51 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> I think Emacs needs a new library to store Lisp data securely.
>
> Can't we use the GnuTLS cryptography functions, like
> gnutls-symmetric-encrypt, for that?

I think that it is not just about encryption.
The API should also have ways to expire passwords and deal with a need
to update them individually.

multisession.el, AFAIU, only allows storing symbol values and the
smallest piece of data. But one cannot always dedicate a separate
variable symbol for each password or secret. An alist of (HOST .
PASSWORD) often needs to be stored with each HOST having dedicated rules
about expiry.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,