Re: [PROPOSAL] Builder, a build system integration for Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Builder, a build system integration for Emacs
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2023 17:38:26 -0400

  > > Designers of a language cannot force all users of that language to
  > > make their software free.

That is a red herring.  We are not trying to "force" anyone to do aything.

The moral issue for us is not about what others do.
It is about what WE do.  We want to avoid recommending
any nonfree programs for installation.

Distributing a distro that contains unmodified Cargo and unmodified
crates.io virtually includs all the contents of crates.io, including
the nonfree package in it.  If we do that, WE will be morally responsible
for leading users toward using those packages.

So we need to avoid doing that.

The question is, how can we include Cargo and yet NOT do that?