Re: Is it valid to call isearch-filter-predicate outside isearch?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Is it valid to call isearch-filter-predicate outside isearch?
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2023 01:06:58 +0200

> Do you refer to
>  (add-function :before (local 'isearch-filter-predicate) #'foo)
> ?

Yes.

> Two reasons:
> 1. I only vaguely understand how this works

This can be changed.  Should.

> 2. It feels against the interface. If advising this predicate is
>    expected, why not convert it into an abnormal hook?

It's more flexible and expressive, as Drew already mentioned.  For
example, how the members of a hook are logically combined (`and'ed,
`or'ed) is fixed in a hook, but not when using advising.

I also wonder about the `kill-variable' calls: what if the user or a
third-party mode want to have own buffer-local settings for these?  We then
erase
them when killing the local variables.  With using an advice on these
the worst thing that could happen is that we leave a buffer local
variable with the same binding as the global one, where we started with
no buffer local binding.

Michael.