Odd behavior when moving point over invisible text

From: Mats Lidell
Subject: Odd behavior when moving point over invisible text
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2023 23:43:39 +0200

Hi,

When writing a unit test I wanted to move point over invisible (hidden) text and
got into this strange behavior:

1. Insert these two lines in an elisp file:
    (defun func ()
      (point))
2. Set outline-minor-mode { M-x outline-minor-mode }
3. Goto first line and do { M-x outline-hide-subtree }
4. Goto first . in the ellipsis after the parentheses () and try either to use
   the keyboard with C-f or use the command (forward-char) to move over the
   ellipsis.

With C-f point is moved over the ellipsis but with forward-char point remains
put!? I suspect it is due to point-adjustment but I was expecting both of these
to produce the same result, i.e. move over the ellipsis. Not to mention that
forward-char is also bound to C-f!?

I tried this with 27.2, 28.2 and current master with the same result.

%% Mats