Re: An emacs based `xdg-desktop-portal` filechooser

From: James Thomas
Subject: Re: An emacs based `xdg-desktop-portal` filechooser
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 16:34:32 +0530

Rahguzar wrote:

> Hi All,
>    During the past few weeks, I have been working on an Emacs based
> implementation of filechooser backend of `xdg-desktop-portal`. It is
> very rough around the edges but I have working version at
> https://codeberg.org/rahguzar/filechooser.

Thanks! This is great news for us EXWM users. My 2c below:

> The choices combo boxes are not implemented. I don't what would be a
> good interface for them (suggestions welcome) and I have in my
> (limited) experience.

Ideas: You could ask for it sequentially before or after specifying the
file name. Or in case of choosing a file extension, you could check the
extension in the user input and ask the user to confirm.

> In my opinion minor compared to these is the fact the filechooser
> dialogues are not modal, i.e. you can still freely interact with the
> window that sent the file selection request.

Perhaps you could temporarily rebind 'C-x o', 'mouse-1' etc.